Iyengar Yoga Teacher Training Online & In-Studio
Flametree’s Iyengar yoga teacher training is both online and in-the-studio. This Iyengar yoga teacher training course has both intensive sessions, and ongoing posture classes. For Iyengar teacher training, there’s also a low yoga teacher training cost.
The teacher training programme is conducted by Christine Lalor. Chris is a Senior Iyengar Yoga teacher with over 12,000 hours of her own teacher training.
Chris also offers coaching and private classes to help teachers improve or accelerate their skills. This coaching is online or in-studio, or both.
Get the “Rolls Royce” yoga teacher qualification
To qualify for teacher training, you need to have 3 years of Iyengar yoga practise.
The course prepares students to be referred to the BKS Iyengar Association of Australia in order to sit assessments at the Introductory level.
The programme takes a minimum of 3 years (300 contact hours) to complete as a full time student.
A referral from Christine Lalor is needed to sit for assessment.
This referral requires the trainee to have the skill level to present for assessment. In some cases this may take longer than the minimum 3 year period.
Certification to Introductory level enables the trainee to call themselves an Iyengar Yoga Teacher. You can also use the Iyengar Yoga trademark. It is recognised world wide.
See more about Iyengar yoga, and the Iyengar style at Flametree.
Why do teacher training at Flametree?
Subject to your progress, you will get the chance to teach LIVE classes, or your own classes.
Flametree being a flourishing and expanding studio where there is likely to be paid work available both while you are a trainee, and afterwards.
You’ll start in shared and supervised classes with Chris, and then be able to run your own classes.
Teaching your own classes is the very best way to prepare for a successful Iyengar yoga assessment. After suitable preparation, there is no better way to learn skills and confidence than to do it yourself, repeatedly!
You will of course get taught and coached by highly experienced teacher trainer, Chris Lalor. She teaches in a compassionate style, but still causes you to rise to the challenge.
Her own classes, which you will obviously spend a lot of time in, are interesting and creative, as well as packed with the skills and knowledge that you can imbibe.
Yoga Teacher Training Programme
You’ll learn how yoga is a unique mix of theoretical knowledge and practical application.
The word “yoga” means union. In the context of yoga philosophy, yoga is the journey to unite the individual soul with the universal soul.
Yoga philosophers through the ages have written extensively on the practical steps to progress towards spiritual union.
One philosopher who holds a central position in yoga philosophy is Patanjali. He lived around two thousand years ago. Patanjali is the author of the Yoga Sutra.
BKS Iyengar has always maintained that he teaches the Yoga Practises of Patanjali.
So trainees will study both the Yoga Practices of Patanjali, and The Iyengar Yoga method.
Programme structure for Iyengar yoga teacher training online & in-studio
The Programme is delivered into four parts. Each part can be done in part online, and in-studio.
- The first part is via regular intensive sessions through the year. Each session can be varied depending on who is in the group of trainees.
- The Second part involves regular teacher training sessions (3 hours) during the month.
- The third part involves trainees participating in practise sessions at regular intervals through out the year.
- The fourth part involves attending a one hour feedback interview with Chris. Generally these interviews will take place in the week after the Teacher Training intensives.
Intensives are normally conducted face-to-face, but arrangements for online training can be made on an individual basis.
All of Flametree’s posture classes are online, so ongoing posture practise is very easy.
In addition to the above trainees will be allocated to observe and assist in classes conducted by Chris Lalor
Dates for Iyengar yoga teacher training online & in-studio
New teacher trainees can normally join at any time. Please get in touch if you need details of upcoming sessions.
Intensive session content for Iyengar yoga teacher training course
- Theory subjects. It will include the overall subject of yoga, and the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
- Looking at specific methods of teaching the different aspects of Iyengar Yoga, including Techniques, Timings , Repetition and Sequence
- Study the art of teaching yoga. It includes communication skills, as well as teaching exercises to develop skills in demonstrating, teaching and delivering asana
- Practise observation and adjustment skills
- Discuss ways to handle diversity in a class room
- Remedial yoga. This will review articles written by both BKS Iyengar and Getta Iyengar on the methodology of Remedial Yoga. It will address in a practical way specific conditions. For example, how and what to teach to students with lower back, shoulder, and knee problems.
- How to address menstruation and menopause in the class room
- Pre and post natal yoga
- Introductory 1 Assessment poses and Assessment sequences.
Iyengar Yoga Training Requirements
Intensive Sessions for Iyengar yoga teacher training course
In addition to the intensive sessions outlined above, weekly practise requirements must be met.
Trainees are required to attend two Experienced level classes a week, and one pranayama class.
It is a requirement of the Programme that trainees record via stick figure postures of each class they attend.
Trainees will be expected to read material that will be delivered electronically between the weekend sessions.
During the three year training period, trainees should not attend classes with other teachers.
Practice Requirements for Iyengar yoga teacher training online & in-studio
Trainees are required to develop a personal yoga practice.
It is expected that the trainee will practise 1.5 hours a day, 6 days a week. (Some of this may be done at classes).
A home practice informs, guides and inspires one’s teaching. In yoga one learns from oneself. To an extent, you also learn to teach yourself.
The Programme will address issues around how to practise :
- teaching the pose to the body, to the breath and to the mind
- shifting your practice from being mechanical to being a reflective practice
- sequencing a practice, to have an affect in the body, in the breath, in the senses, and in the mind.
Home practise logs are expected to be filled in each day and then submitted to Chris one week prior to the training sessions.
Membership of the BKS Iyengar Association of Australia (BKSIYAA) is essential to participate.
Training applications & yoga teacher training cost
How to apply to join
Application must be made in writing to Chris Lalor.
In your application you should include details of your yoga background, age, health and family issues that may impact on your study.
Names of other teachers that you have studied with should also be included.
Application does not confirm a place.
All enquires should be directed to [email protected] or phone 0448 11 22 51.
Alternatively, reach us via the Customer Service contacts at the bottom right of this page.
Iyengar yoga teacher training course costs
Yoga teacher training cost for each Training Session is $550.
There are 5 training sessions per year. Payment must be made 4 weeks prior to the start of each of the intensive sessions.
Weekly classes are to be pre-paid at the going rate.
Intensives and Workshops paid at the going rate.
More information about Iyengar Yoga and teacher training and certification in Australia is available by contacting Chris Lalor via the Customer Service contacts at the bottom of this page, or above.